Title: Secretarial Manager
Company: Palmer Legal Staffing
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Direct Hire
Job Description: A leading global law firm is seeking a Secretarial Manager to be responsible for achieving the effective operation of the Secretarial and Document Services Departments, as well as the talents and morale of the staff within these departments. This position will collaborate with other departments to formulate policies and procedures to improve various departments.
- Direct day-to-day supervision of staff and operations within the two departments. This includes maintaining adequate daily staffing levels through tracking attendance, acting as back-up to the Administrative Assistant to schedule coverage for absences, and assessing and balancing workloads.
- Develop and put in place secretarial assignments for the attorney staff. Maintain firm mandated attorney/secretarial ratios by reviewing, evaluating and applying changes to assignments when needed.
- Maximize secretarial utilization by partnering with administrative management team to develop long term staffing needs and to provide overflow support to other departments when needed.
- Keep abreast of best practices, and new technology appropriate for the department.
- Manage all departmental administrative and employee relations issues, in concert with the DOA and HR when necessary, and in compliance with federal and local regulations. This includes identifying individual needs for coaching and counseling sessions, conducting timely feedback to staff (including preparation of written disciplinary documentation and corrective actions), preparing annual performance appraisals, recommending annual merit bonuses and merit increases, approving leave requests and overtime reports, and maintaining accurate and up-to-date attendance records.
- Establish annual departmental operating and salary budgets. This includes exercising sound judgment to stay within budget, implementing cost saving practices as appropriate, and monitoring spending during the year.
- Provide routine reports as needed or upon request on each department specifically breaking down and explaining information.
- Act as back-up to U.S. Document Services by coordinating workflow duties. This includes ensuring that all departmental personnel use Electronic Intake System (EIS) properly working with members of the IT department to address systems-related issues that particularly affect the departments.
- Provide and/or oversee first hand training to departmental personnel as needed to supplement the training provided by the IT and HR departments. In concert with members of the IT Learning and Development team, HR and management, implement training for the technology, and establish orientation in all areas to existing and new staff.
- Encourage and improve teamwork, monitor and enhance morale and be available to discuss problems and/or issues as needed. Conduct routine secretarial meetings and communicate regularly with staff on policies and procedures, as well as the customer base in order to keep current on their needs and issues.
- Assess the operational effectiveness of job descriptions within the staff levels, quality standards, and processes and procedures, and make appropriate recommendations to ensure the consistent effectiveness of the departments.
- Participate in the recruiting process for departmental staff, in concert with the Human Resources Department.
- Internally market the proper use of each department.
- Supervise, mentor, and train the Administrative Assistant to the departments.
Specific Technical Skills:
- Strong familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite of applications (in particular, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Strong familiarity with at least one document management application (e.g., iManage) is preferred.
- Desktop publishing expertise is essential.
- Secondary responsibilities for document production, include: conversion, scan, and clean-up of documents; initial input; proofread; revision of existing documents;
- Troubleshoot documents with stability/corruption problems, including scanning incoming electronic files for viruses;
- Provide support to secretaries with document problems, and answer “how to” questions from attorneys and staff.
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written), strong time management skills; and strong task completion and follow-up skills.
- The ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects is essential. Extremely strong client service skills.
- Exemplary troubleshooting skills.
- Established technical expertise to identify, diagnose and escalate problems involving hardware/software.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to resolve conflicts with minimal direction.
- Possesses a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Be a strong leader, setting high standards and communicate well
with all levels within the Firm and outside
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Minimum Years of Experience Required:
- 7-10 years’ experience in a legal secretarial or document services department. Five or more of those years in a supervisory capacity is preferred.
How To Apply: Please send your resume to Stephanie Schliftman at E: [login to unmask email] for consideration. We welcome all candidates that meet the REQUIRED qualifications with recent relevant experience. Palmer Legal Staffing is an equal opportunity employer.
About Us: Palmer is an award winning staffing agency offering direct hire, temp-to-hire, and temporary placements for administrative, management, executive, legal and more. We represent more than 500 of the finest law firms and legal departments in the DC area.
Palmer Google reviews = 4.7 stars, visit online to see what other Palmer candidates have to say about us. You are more than just a “number”!
Visit www.plsdc.com and view our job board, contact a recruiter, link to our Facebook and LinkedIn pages.