King & Spalding, a leading global law firm, seeks a Business Development (BD) Manager for our Government Matters Practice Group.
This person will work closely with the partners in this group and with the overall marketing department. This person will be responsible for implementing BD strategy, driving a range of new business and marketing initiatives, and leading pitches, proposals and directory submissions.
The firm offers a generous total compensation package with bonuses and raises awarded in recognition of individual merit-based performance. Eligible employees may participate in King & Spalding’s comprehensive benefit program including health and wellness plan, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, profit sharing plan, discount programs, and a substantial Paid Time Off (PTO) program.
Candidates will have the following responsibilities:
- Identify cross-selling and cross-marketing opportunities across the firm.
- Collaborating with Business Development Managers for other K&S practice areas and industry initiatives for internal marketing purposes.
- Oversee and coordinate the delivery of strategic research on potential clients, competitors and industry developments to identify business trends and opportunities and ensure that K&S is optimally positioned to grow market share.
- Assist lawyers, particularly new laterals, on the development of their individual business plans and provide ongoing business development coaching for individual partners.
- Identify, develop, and deliver timely and relevant topics around which to build broad thought leadership and direct client outreach campaigns.
- Develop value-driven content for dynamic presentations in connection with pitches and other new business opportunities.
- Lead, draft and coordinate content for RFP responses.
- Maintain pitch/RFP files, log in pitch tracking system, and obtain outcome updates.
Events and Conference Sponsorships
- Collaborate with the firm’s events and branding teams to develop and deliver the idea conception and business development strategy around events, such as substantive symposia, networking receptions, client entertainment outings, etc.
- Identify and facilitate K&S participation in sponsorships, conferences, memberships and other key profile-building opportunities for the team and individual lawyers.
- Continuously maintain up-to-date PowerPoint pitch decks, fact sheets, and website content for each team.
- Coordinate with Branding and Design to develop new collateral on an on-going basis.
- Coordinate submissions for league rankings, legal directories and awards.
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Coordinate the annual decision-making process for each team’s marketing budget: vet big-ticket requests and analyze marketing expenses and effectiveness thereof
- Coordinate team meetings and facilitate internal communications and knowledge sharing among team members and across the firm.
- Partner with other BD Team members to develop and implement initiatives to achieve solutions to key business projects.
- Develop and maintain a targeted approach to delivering content marketing to clients and prospective clients.
Successful candidates are flexible, forward thinking, proactive, energetic and detail oriented. Candidates are able to bring substantive knowledge and have the ability to work well with various stakeholders within the firm. Experience working with a team of busy partners and excellent project management skills are required, as well as the ability to demonstrate a capacity to self-start and work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment while interacting credibly and diplomatically with all levels in an organization. Candidates must have superior presentation, writing, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to be proactive in tailoring communications effectively for different groups and stakeholders. Candidates must be able to incorporate feedback into their performance. Due to the highly sensitive nature of many of our matters, candidates must be able to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
Candidates should have well-developed Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, and be proficient in contact relationship management databases, such as InterAction. Candidates are required to have a bachelor’s degree in Government/Political Science, Business, Marketing or other related field; JD or MBA is preferred. Candidates must have 5-8 years of experience in a business development or marketing role within a law firm or similar professional services environment.