HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
Human Resources Department
Washington, D.C. Office
We have an excellent opportunity for a Human Resources Manager in our Washington, D.C. office. This is an exempt position that reports to the Office Administrator. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for planning and executing policies relating to all phases of human resources activity.
- Recommend local office staffing needs and manage the recruitment and selection of support staff.
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitudes.
- Coordinate the local office benefits administration including communication and distribution of related forms.
- Establish the attorney, paralegal/legal secretarial assignments.
- Propose programs and procedures relating to the effective utilization of support staff resources.
- Supervise non-legal support staff either directly or through subordinate supervisors regarding personnel issues and decisions.
- Investigate work related accidents and prepare reports.
- Coordinate the support staff performance evaluation program.
- Recommend annual salary increases and bonuses for support staff in conjunction with approved budget.
- Manage the personnel recordkeeping function such as hires, changes of status, attendance records, payroll records, performance evaluations and terminations.
- Approve leave of absence requests and monitor the PTO schedule to ensure office staffing needs.
- Coordinate compliance with federal regulations pertaining to ADA, EEO, FMLA, OSHA and FLSA. Maintain a current knowledge of applicable laws, rulings and regulations and recommend appropriate changes in office practices.
- Manage Leave of Absences (LOA) and communicate with employees regarding status. Coordinate LOA in conjunction with Short Term Disability and FMLA leave. Complete and submit forms to Firmwide.
- Screen professional staff resumes and maintain database of same for future reference. Initiate background and conflict checks for all candidates to determine eligibility.
- Conduct staff exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Assist the Office Administrator with formulating and instituting office procedures.
- Coordinate health screening events, flu shots, and EAP (Employee Assistance Program) events.
- Assist in coordination of special projects as requested, including but not limited to, the annual Staff Appreciation event and Fall/Summer office events.
- Coordinate office participation of volunteer programs throughout the year, for example, book drive, HBA coat drive, diaper drive, Habitat for Humanity, etc.
- Other duties as requested and assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and 5-8 years of relevant experience; equivalent combination of education, training and experience may substitute for education requirement. A minimum of 3 years supervisory experience with the skills necessary to organize, coordinate and supervise staff. Professional and or legal services experience highly desirable.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Outlook and Excel. Demonstrated proficiency with PowerPoint and Access or other database applications desirable. Proven aptitude to learn new software applications.
- Ability to speak effectively and respond to common inquiries or complaints from all levels of clients and professional and support staff. Interpersonal communication skills necessary to maintain effective relationships with partners, attorneys, clients and staff, and to exhibit a high degree of responsiveness, diplomacy and professionalism in these interactions.
- Ability to write business correspondence, procedure manuals, reports, speeches and articles for publication that conforms to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information in both written and oral formats and respond to questions from all levels of professional and support staff and clients. Ability to effectively present information to top Firm management.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and be detail-oriented. Excellent organizational and planning skills with ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects to meet deadlines. Outstanding creativity; flexibility and persistence; motivation and energy with the ability to work with little supervision and collaborate with other members of the team. A tolerance for uncertainty and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision.
- Ability to coordinate the activities of department resources. Ability to lead and build consensus among peers and staff. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines. Ability to exercise discretion with confidential and sensitive information. Must be able to perform essential duties of the position with time constraints and interruptions. A strong client service approach and team orientation.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should submit their resume to [login to unmask email] Please remember to include the job title and office location in the subject or body of your email.
BakerHostetler is recognized as one of the leading law firms in the country. With nearly 950 attorneys located in 14 offices from coast to coast, BakerHostetler is a great place to work for those who seek professional and personal growth in a collaborative environment. We deliver the highest quality counsel to our clients, who include many of the nation’s largest and most well-known companies. BakerHostetler’s values have remained unchanged since our founding more than 100 years ago: dedication to the law, commitment to the highest standard of client service, continuous development of our people and active participation in the communities in which we work and live.
BakerHostetler offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit program. Specific information is provided during the interview process.
- Competitive Salaries
- Performance Bonus Program
- Generous Time Off
- Generous Retirement Program including 401(k) Plan
- Group Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- BHealthy Wellness Program
- Life Insurance
- Voluntary Accident Insurance – Self and Family
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- Pre-Tax Benefit ProgramsPlease visit www.bakerlaw.com for more information about our Firm.Baker & Hostetler LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.