Locations: Atlanta, GA; Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA; San Francisco, CA; Washington, D.C.
- Analyze conflict reports, document potential conflict situations, and propose resolutions.
- Facilitate conflict-clearing process by communicating directly with appropriate attorneys and Firm General Counsel, as needed.
- Procure waiver letters and engagement letters from appropriate attorneys as deemed necessary in each jurisdiction.
- Review and analyze terms of engagement and outside counsel guidelines, identifying issues requiring further review for business and/or ethical reasons.
- Produce written summaries of conflicts issues and document rationale for all final conflict resolutions.
- Upon confirmation of need, establish ethical walls to screen individuals from particular clients and matters as part of conflict clearing process.
- Independently manage workload to ensure prompt responsiveness to pending conflicts requests. This responsibility includes, but is not limited to, tracking the status of individual requests and updating Firm attorneys as needed about the status of requests.
- Analyze prior legal affiliation reports for all new and lateral hires and present results to Firm management.
- Participate in the training and education of attorneys on Firm policies and procedures relating to the conflict clearing process.
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor degree required.Must be a licensed attorney in good standing in any US state or the District of Columbia.2+ years of conflicts experience in large law firm environment preferred.
- Computer proficient with advanced skills in all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Explorer and Outlook) required.Experience with on-line reference materials and Boolean searching techniques also preferred.Knowledge of SQL database, electronic imaging and archiving a plus.
- Ability to learn and utilize specialized internal conflict checking software and multiple software applications. Ability to learn, follow, and explain workflow processes of various departments.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills.Ability to compile and analyze data and convey concise, detailed information in written report format. Ability to communicate and follow written and oral instructions. Ability to convey and understand complex factual and procedural information.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills necessary to maintain effective relationships with Firm management, a diverse group of attorneys, and staff. Ability to communicate with professionalism, courtesy, and diplomacy, whether in person, by e-mail, or by phone.
- Excellent analytical skills. Ability to think critically and read for detail, while regularly reviewing large volumes of information under time pressure. Ability to apply these skills to conflicts analysis, review and drafting of conflicts waivers, and other conflicts resolution tasks. Skills in issue spotting, follow-up, and resolution are essential.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment necessary to make decisions based on results of searches and other information. Initiative and self-starter skills sufficient to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, detail-oriented work environment.Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive conflict inquiries or complaints.
- Expert abilities in using a conflicts database, preferably Intapp Open.Knowledge of commercial corporate affiliate aggregate databases and knowledge of common business structures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this job, and duties may change from time to time depending on our business needs.