The Trust and Estates department of Loeb & Loeb LLP has immediate openings for a Senior and a Junior Paralegal in its Washington, DC office. Both positions will support the Trusts & Estates Department, which includes our Nonprofit/Tax-Exempt Organization practice. The paralegals will work with our legal team with responsibilities including, but not limited to:
Senior Paralegal Duties:
The Trust and Estates Senior Paralegal’s day to day responsibilities will include:
- Estate Administration, including keeping track of dates and preparing probate forms and basic accounts
- Filing with the DC, MD and Virginia Court and Probate offices, in person and e-filing, and working on ancillary proceedings in many other jurisdictions
- Coordination of the appropriate valuation of assets
- Limited transfer of assets and funding of various irrevocable trusts
- Trust administration assistance including Crummey Notices and tracking distribution dates for various payments, annuity obligations, etc.
- Work closely with attorneys in the preparation of Federal and State estate and gift tax returns, as well as other fiduciary assistance (e.g., fiduciary income tax returns)
The Trust and Estates Senior Paralegal also may work at times with our Nonprofit/Tax-Exempt organizations practice group.
Junior Paralegal Duties:
The Trust and Estates Junior Paralegal will work more regularly with our Nonprofit/Tax-Exempt organizations practice group to assist with research, IRS and state agency filings, Board minutes and resolutions, presentations, and monitoring newsworthy developments (court cases, IRS/Treasury guidance, and legislation).
The Trust and Estates Junior Paralegal’s day to Day responsibilities also may include:
- Maintaining corporate filings, annual tax notices, etc.
- Forming legal entities, name reservations.
- Handling the paying of bills from third-party vendors for Estates, Trusts, and possibly Corporate entities
- Drafting ancillary estate planning documents.
- Client Binders (Final Review)
- Vault document maintenance
- Proofing and Editing
Skills needed to be successful:
- It is expected that a candidate for the Senior Paralegal position will have prior experience communicating with beneficiaries, accountants, financial institutions, as well as practical experience with tax and accounting computer software (FPS/OneSource preferred). Five to seven years relevant experience is strongly preferred.
- For the Junior Paralegal position – a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required. At least two years of paralegal experience is strongly preferred. Working for a law firm is not required. Those with corporate experience and a willingness to be trained in trust and estates will also be considered. Ideal candidates will have some experience in estate administration as well as some familiarity with tax, as described above.
- The ideal candidates will be highly organized, possess excellent proofing and strong communication (oral and written) skills; the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment; a very strong attention to detail; and a professional demeanor.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, and build relationships with lawyers, clients and staff to achieve results. Requires a high level of collaboration with attorneys and staff and the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and using the internet is a must. Working knowledge of iManage or other filing databases and web technology would be beneficial.
The statements contained in these position descriptions are not necessarily all-inclusive. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to [login to unmask email]
Professional business references and a background check will be required for all final applicants selected for a position. In accepting a position, it is understood that continued employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. A satisfactory background check is the absence of a criminal record which bears a demonstrable relationship to the applicant/employee’s suitability to perform the required duties and responsibilities of the position.
Loeb & Loeb is an Equal Opportunity Employer.