King & Spalding seeks a Business Development (BD) Manager for our International Trade and Government Advocacy & Public Policy teams, both part of the firm’s global Government Matters Practice Group. This person will serve as the lead BD and Marketing contact for these two teams and will work closely with the partners who lead each practice as well as all of the partners in each practice and the overall marketing department. This person will be responsible for implementing BD strategy and driving a range of new business and marketing initiatives.
Candidates will have the following responsibilities for each of the two teams:
- Organize and drive a client targeting/client teams program including identification, prioritization and mapping out the pursuit of new clients and growth of high-value existing client and prompting and monitoring pursuit activities for client prospects and key clients and tracking results and ROI.
- Identify cross-selling and cross-marketing opportunities each team with each other and with other teams across the firm. Collaborate with Business Development Managers for other K&S practice areas and industry initiatives for internal marketing purposes.
- Oversee and coordinate the delivery of strategic research on potential clients, competitors and industry developments to identify business trends and opportunities and ensure that K&S is optimally positioned to grow market share.
- Assist lawyers, particularly new laterals, on the development of their individual business plans and provide ongoing business development coaching for individual partners.
- Identify, develop, and deliver timely and relevant topics around which to build broad thought leadership and direct client outreach campaigns.
- Develop value-driven content for dynamic presentations in connection with pitches and other new business opportunities.
- Lead, draft and coordinate content for RFP responses.
- Maintain pitch/RFP files, log in pitch tracking system, and obtain outcome updates.
Events and Conference Sponsorships
- Collaborate with the firm’s events and branding teams to develop and deliver the idea conception and business development strategy around events, such as substantive symposia, networking receptions, client entertainment outings, etc.
- Identify and facilitate K&S participation in sponsorships, conferences, memberships and other key profile-building opportunities for the team and individual lawyers.
- Continuously maintain up-to-date PowerPoint pitch decks, fact sheets, and website content for each team.
- Track relationships on each team with decisionmakers on Capitol Hill and the Executive Branch.
- Coordinate with Branding and Design to develop new collateral on an on-going basis.
- Coordinate submissions for league rankings, legal directories and awards.
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Coordinate the annual decision-making process for each team’s marketing budget: vet big-ticket requests and analyze marketing expenses and effectiveness thereof
- Coordinate team meetings and facilitate internal communications and knowledge sharing among team members and across the firm.
- Partner with other BD Team members to develop and implement initiatives to achieve solutions to key business projects.
- Develop and maintain a targeted approach to delivering content marketing to clients and prospective clients.
Successful candidates are flexible, forward thinking, energetic and detail oriented. Candidates are able to bring substantive knowledge and have the ability to work well with various stakeholders within the firm. Experience managing a team of busy partners and excellent project management skills are required, as well as the ability to demonstrate a capacity to self-start and work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment while interacting credibly and diplomatically with all levels in an organization. Candidates must have superior presentation, writing, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to be proactive in tailoring communications effectively for different groups and stakeholders. Candidates must be able to incorporate feedback into their performance. Due to the highly sensitive nature of many of our matters, candidates must be able to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
Candidates should have well-developed Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, and be proficient in contact relationship management databases, such as InterAction. Candidates are required to have a bachelor’s degree in Government/Political Science, Business, Marketing or other related field; JD or MBA is preferred. Candidates must have 5-8 years of experience in a business development or marketing role within a law firm or similar professional services environment.
King & Spalding LLP (K&S) is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, or any other status protected by applicable law.