Banner Witcoff is a leader in intellectual property law for 100 years. We are the trusted IP partner of choice for organizations around the world. We provide sound legal guidance and inventive IP solutions to power business for start-ups, Fortune 500 companies, and everything in between.
Banner Witcoff’s Accounting Department is responsible for managing the daily accounting tasks and maintaining account information for the firm. We pride ourselves on our relentless attention to detail and place an immense value on providing exceptional service, both internally and externally. We work as individuals, as team members, and as part of a growing and innovative law firm. We are seeking an experienced Assistant Controller to oversee the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable functions, manage the month end accounting close process, and supervise the daily activities and work flow of the accounting staff.
- BS in Accounting required
- CPA certification strongly preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience in a law firm or professional accounting services environment required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook and Excel required
- Effective and professional level communication skills (written and oral), in order to effectively communicate with attorneys, staff, clients, and vendors
- Ability to handle confidential information, and proven trustworthiness
- Aderant Expert accounting software experience strongly preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise AP team members
- Maintain internal controls over funds
- Monitor set-up of new vendors
- Code vendor invoices for processing
- Review vendor statements for missing invoices
- Review and authorize payments to domestic and foreign vendors
- Review and approve expense reimbursements to employees
- Prepare letters for purchase of foreign currency
- Reconcile petty cash
- Review payments for proper sales or use tax allocation
- Review and correct general ledger postings
- Ensure client disbursements such as USPTO charges and legal research are recorded timely
- Research and approve client credits to be refunded
- Act as administrator of the Firm’s credit card program
- Prepare year-end Form 1099s
- Prepare annual Unclaimed Property return
- Prepare annual audit schedules
- Supervise AR team members
- Ensure client receipts are accurately recorded
- Oversee collection process
- Monitor and reconcile outstanding client account balances
- Interact with clients, attorneys, billing staff and Controller to resolve collection issues
- Work with outside collections agency on delinquent client accounts
- Process credit card payments
- Record write-offs
- Complete client audit letters
- Prepare monthly report of outstanding client accounts for Board review
- Prepare year-end analysis of expected cash receipts
- Prepare annual audit schedules
- Special projects as assigned
- Serve as backup for bi-weekly payroll processing
- Assist with monthly, year-end and ad hoc financial reporting
- Assist with tax filings
The above list of duties and responsibilities is in no way a comprehensive list. From time to time, the employee may be required to perform other duties in support of the operation of the office, as requested by his/her supervisor.
Banner Witcoff offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, a 35-hour workweek, business-casual attire, and a friendly office environment. Interested candidates should apply online by sending a resume and cover letter with salary requirements.
Banner Witcoff is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. The Firm will not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, sex, pregnancy, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, legal citizenship or any other status protected by law.
Banner Witcoff is currently interviewing via video, and is set up for remote onboarding. The Firm allows for at-home training and work during the pandemic. This role will temporarily be performed remotely. The successful candidate will train and work from home until such time as it is determined that role will move back into the Washington, D.C. or Chicago, IL office full-time.
APPLY AT WWW.BANNERWITCOFF.COM/CAREERS