Fisher Phillips, a national employment and labor law firm, is seeking an experienced Legal Secretary for its Bethesda, Maryland office. Our range of experience enables us to bring efficient and practical solutions to today's labor and employment law problems. For more information about the firm, please visit us at our website at www.fisherphillips.com.
This position supports the delivery of quality legal services to clients by providing secretarial and administrative assistance to attorneys, performing complex and specialized secretarial and clerical tasks, and working collaboratively and cooperative with others in a team-oriented environment. This position supports a set of attorneys as a primary assignment and also provides back-up secretarial assistance to others as assigned.
Strong writing skills, attention to detail, and the ability to learn quickly are key. This position will be called upon to draft and proofread, and file complex legal documents and correspondence, and accuracy is extremely important.
- Provides excellent customer service: answer main phone lines and direct calls; greet clients and vendors
- Ability to draft standard pleadings, correspondence, memoranda and other documents.
- Proofread all documents independently and effectively to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to distribution or filing
- Exhibits good judgment and organizational skills to receive, record and disseminate all information on behalf of the clients and assigned attorneys (e.g., mail, interoffice mail, email, etc.)
- Consistently provides friendly and helpful telephone support and/or receptionist relief.
- Routinely reviews and follows-up on client deadlines and calendar appointments.
- Coordinates and makes necessary arrangements for meetings (i.e., depositions, mediations, interviews, and vendor and facility reservations).
- Ensures that mail is sent out of the office, i.e. regular mail, certified mail, or overnight mail.
- Performs legal research.
- Performs e-filings, prepare pleadings notebooks, update indexes and prepare exhibits.
- Maintain and organize files in an orderly manner.
- Timely reviews and ensures accuracy of vendor invoices; prepares accurate check requests and timely submits invoices for payment to client or accounting.
- Possesses knowledge of client-specific billing guidelines and restrictions and consistently applies those guidelines to ensure cost-effective practices.
- Participates in the timely review and submission of prebills and/or client bills.
- Possesses strong clerical skills including typing, transcribing, word processing, mail and contact management, spreadsheets, presentations, and all of the firm’s systems and databases.
- Accurately files court documents both electronically and in document form and able to determine and follow any local or judge specific requirements related to same.
- Regularly anticipates the needs of assigned attorneys in order to promote timekeeper efficiencies (i.e., drafts correspondence, prepares shell pleading and discovery documents in advance).
- Assists assigned attorneys with completing and tracking CLE compliance, presentations and training programs, other business development activities, and organizing all other non-billable activities.
- Accurately prepares and submits client conflict and intake forms.
- Follows the standard naming and profiling conventions when scanning, emailing, and saving documents to the document management system.
- Regularly and consistently updates client files, notebooks, and pleading indices.
- Maintains attorney specific case lists, charts, and status of cases and outcomes.
- Understands and accurately manages audit requests.
- Consistently updates all applicable contact records (including attorney’s outlook and firm database).
- Timely reviews, follows-up on, and accurately files client-related emails.
- Properly prioritizes work assignments.
- Seeks appropriate assistance (from the office manager or attorneys) when conflicts arise.
- Consistently completes assigned tasks when expected.
- Able to juggle multiple assignments and/or deadlines while maintaining a professional demeanor and timely seeks assistance when needed.
- Willing and capable to offer assistance to others when needed.
- Enter, review and revise timesheets accurately.
- Develop, implement, and maintain systems to promote organization and efficiency.
- Understand and comply with office policies concerning file management, case lists, filing and recordkeeping.
- Effectively manage and monitor calendaring of deadlines and key dates.
- Exhibit knowledge of litigation process.
- Possesses a strong understanding and abides by the policies and procedures of the firm and local office.
- Presents written communications that are concise and accurate.
- Exhibits confident and professional verbal communication skills.
- Effectively communicates with clients and vendors.
- Maintains an exceptional customer service attitude and demeanor at all times.
- Flexible and willing to pitch in wherever needed.
- Takes ownership; gets the job done without the need for prodding or supervision.
- Respects the time constraints faced by the lawyers in the office.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and is approachable.
- Adapts well to fluctuations in workload and changes in responsibilities.
- Maintains a professional demeanor in high-stress situations.
- Is effective at limiting excessive socializing.
- Restricts personal telephone calls and other personal business during work hours.
- Keeps appropriate people informed of the status of projects, work and deadlines.
- Maintains a positive and “can do” attitude when dealing with clients, co-workers, and attorneys.
- Answers questions clearly and thoroughly.
- High level of awareness of confidential information.
- Contributes to an atmosphere of teamwork and congeniality.
Skills and Abilities
- Lexis Nexis, Pacer, ECF, Desksite or document management system, CompuLaw, Concur, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Attendance & Punctuality: Be consistently at work and on time; arrive at meetings and appointments on time; ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Communication: Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Customer Service: Respond promptly to attorney and client requests for service and assistance; meet commitments.
- Dependability: Follow instructions; complete tasks on time; commit to the hours necessary to complete assignments; work independently.
- Professionalism: Approach others in a tactful manner; treat others with respect; react well under pressure.
- Team Work: Contribute to building a positive team spirit; support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Technical Skills: Possess basic PC skills; ability to use phone system, copier, scanner, fax, and printer.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal terminology, legal documents, and legal processes in the Litigation Department, including the ability to mark and generate a table of contents and table of authorities.
- Accurate typing at a net speed of 65+ wpm (shorthand/speedwriting a plus).
- Strong computer proficiency in the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Document Management System, Time Entry, e-Filing and database software.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; demonstrated understanding of correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to work effectively and proactively within a team environment.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently and to meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
- Initiative, flexibility, resiliency, and a willingness to adapt to change.
No relocation costs. Principals only; no calls please.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.